Before You Arrive
Before you arrive, you should be sure to complete the following:
• Secure your J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa and J-2 dependent visas if your spouse or children will be accompanying you during your time at Mercer University
• Send your complete flight itinerary to your International Student Advisor & Scholar Services Coordinator
• Communicate your arrival date with your Mercer University supervisor
• Provide proof of health insurance that meets U.S. Department of State J-1 Exchange Visitor Program requirements to your International Student Advisor & Scholar Services Coordinator. J-2 dependents must also be covered by the same health insurance requirements. It is highly recommended that you communicate via email with the International Student Advisor & Scholar Services Coordinator to determine if the health insurance plan that you are considering will be acceptable coverage prior to making a purchase. Do not purchase a health insurance plan without prior approval. Per U.S. Department of State J-1 Exchange Visitor Program regulations, you must be ensured with an approved health insurance plan for the duration of your program in the United States.
• Plan your transportation and housing needs. Your supervisor or the sponsoring department may be able to assist you.
• Plan to travel with or have access to at least $2000 USD for the costs you will incur during your first month in the United States.
• Make photocopies and electronic copies of all of your important documents (passport biographical page, DS-2019, I-901 Fee payment receipt, J-1 visa passport page, Mercer University acceptance letter, etc.) and carry them in a safe place.
• Communicate with all of your credit card companies of your upcoming international travel plans and seek confirmation that your accounts can be accessed from abroad.
• Ask any questions you have to your International Student Advisor & Scholar Services Coordinator!