Before You Arrive
Before you arrive, you should be sure to complete the following:
• Secure your J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa and J-2 dependent visas if your spouse or children will be accompanying you during your time at Mercer University
• Send your complete flight itinerary to the Office of International Programs (OIP)
• Communicate your arrival date with your Mercer University supervisor
• Provide proof of health insurance that meets U.S. Department of State J-1 Exchange Visitor Program requirements to the Office of International Programs. J-2 dependents must also be covered by the same health insurance requirements. It is highly recommended that you communicate via email with OIP to determine if the health insurance plan that you are considering will be acceptable coverage prior to making a purchase. Do not purchase a health insurance plan without prior approval. Per U.S. Department of State J-1 Exchange Visitor Program regulations, you must be ensured with an approved health insurance plan for the duration of your program in the United States.
• Plan your transportation and housing needs. Your supervisor or the sponsoring department may be able to assist you.
• Plan to travel with or have access to at least $2000 USD for the costs you will incur during your first month in the United States.
• Make photocopies and electronic copies of all of your important documents (passport biographical page, DS-2019, I-901 Fee payment receipt, J-1 visa passport page, Mercer University acceptance letter, etc.) and carry them in a safe place.
• Communicate with all of your credit card companies of your upcoming international travel plans and seek confirmation that your accounts can be accessed from abroad.
• Contact the Office of International Programs with any questions or concerns.